Arcellx (https://arcellx.com/) is a venture-backed, early-stage biotech company focused on the development of novel cell-based cancer therapies. The company has assembled a team of biotechnology professionals with expertise in biologics discovery, characterization, and development. Lead products will incorporate proprietary technologies that enhance tumor-specific killing by genetically engineered human immune cells. Arcellx’s vision is to bring ARC-sparX platform cell therapies to millions of patients who can self-administer prescribed sparX proteins under the care of academic and community practices
Arcellx is seeking a Vice President, Human Resources to join this fast-paced, high-growth biotechnology company and be an important part of the mission to develop novel, adaptive and controllable cell therapies for the treatment of patients with cancer and autoimmune diseases.
The Vice President, HR will lead every aspect of the people function, including HR operations, talent acquisition, onboarding, employee development & engagement, performance management, diversity & inclusion, and employee relations.
- The VP of HR will bring a dynamic and pragmatic approach to solving HR challenges.
- A highly strategic leader, he/she will have the opportunity to establish and maintain credibility of the people function, partnering closely with the CEO and other business leaders to align the people practices to the overall business strategy.
- He/she will navigate between strategic and operational responsibilities and should be ready to roll up their sleeves.
- A talent magnet, the HR leader will play a critical role in identifying, recruiting, and onboarding new hires as well as building out their own HR team as the company grows.
- With a focus on simplicity, he/she will play a critical role in helping the company build the right infrastructure, tools, and processes.
- A culture carrier, the HR leader will promote an open and inclusive culture based on accountability and ownership. He/she will bring passion and energy to the organization with a people-focused mindset.
- Develop a competitive human resources function that can support Arcellx’s scaling.
- Assess capability and capacity of the combined organization to support rapid growth and the overall business strategy.
- Introduce best practices for HR services to increase capabilities that meet business needs.
- Direct, implement, and control adherence to employment policies and procedures pertaining to recruitment and retention, compensation, training and development, and compliance with federal, state and local employment laws.
- Build and maintain a high service level from Arcellx’s HR infrastructure – processes, policies, and systems, including an HRIS system.
- Design a talent strategy including Talent Attraction and Development, Total Rewards, People Analytics, Diversity & Inclusion, and HR Systems. Enhance these areas through tracking, analyzing, and reporting key measures of success.
- Build the employer brand in the marketplace. Pursue multiple avenues for sourcing high quality and diverse talent. Strive for high-quality candidate experience.
- Establish compensation programs and policies that use reliable benchmarks, reflect well-established compensation philosophies, and embody policies and practices aligned with the company’s overall goals and objectives. Prepare for and participate in Compensation Committee/Board meetings.
- With a strong coaching skillset, continue to help shape and elevate the alignment and performance of Arcellx’s team, having a well-honed eye for talent, knowing how to identify and develop the current and future leaders.
- Human Resources Leadership: A well-rounded HR executive, with a minimum of 10 years of direct HR experience as a generalist, preferably in life sciences or technology organizations, with positions of increasing responsibility. Experience working with a public company board and involvement with IPO activity preferred.
- Transformation: Change management experience and inspiring leadership skills to manage growth, foster an inclusive culture, accelerate results, and keep employees motivated and engaged during a complex transition of scale.
- Operational Excellence: Strong credentials building robust HR operations infrastructure as well as designing and implementing HR systems, procedures, and strategies to meet defined objectives.
- Business Acumen: Commercial acumen and demonstrated ability to connect business and talent strategies.
- Trusted Advisor: History of successfully supporting business leaders and acting as a key thought partner to executives. Provides thoughtful, data-driven, and strategic advice to business leaders.
- Grit and Passion: An energy, persistence and drive to accomplish great things and build this company. A visible, “in the arena” attitude with optimism to push through challenging times for the benefit of those Arcellx serves.
- Ownership Mindset: Acts with an intense sense of ownership over results and the company’s success. “Roll-up-the-sleeves” orientation.
- Team Orientation: Collaborative style. Fosters team-first mentality and shares wins and successes. Creates an open and transparent environment in which individuals can team together to drive optimal outcomes.
- Presence and Gravitas: A natural, confident communicator who is able to present ideas discerningly, articulately and openly with the ability to effectively influence and marshal buy-in from people at all levels; a leader with a strong presentation style.
- Integrity: Unquestionable integrity. Known as an honest, trustworthy, ethical and straightforward individual.