PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: The Sr. Director of Contracts will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all contracting activities and related legal and risk management for the company in compliance with established policies and procedures. This position is accountable for contract drafting, execution, and administration, including recommending and implementing best practices, to support the organization’s overall growth strategy.
ABOUT ARCELLX: Arcellx (http://www.arcellx.com/) is a venture-backed, early-stage biotech company focused on the development of novel cell-based cancer therapies. The company is located in Gaithersburg, Maryland and has assembled a team of biotechnology professionals with expertise in biologics discovery, characterization, and development. Lead products will incorporate proprietary technologies that enhance tumor-specific killing by genetically engineered human immune cells.
The main responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Primary accountability for negotiation and execution of day-to-day contracts such as confidentiality, consulting, services and supply agreements.
- Internal legal lead on complex agreements such as collaborations and licenses.
- Coordinate with external corporate counsel on legal risk management strategies.
- Oversee development of template agreements, provisions, and negotiation guidelines.
- Responsible for the issuance of all contract policies, procedures, methods, operating practices, and functional performance standards to facilitate effective implementation.
- Responsible for the monitoring and reporting of contract effectiveness.
- Educate internal clients about contract policies and processes.
- Represent contracts function on cross-functional initiatives.
- Master’s Degree in Legal or Business or related discipline, Juris Doctorate from an accredited Law school preferred. 7+ years related experience including 2+ years of pharmaceutical industry experience/ biotech/ R&D organization.
- Experience negotiating and drafting agreements, including confidentiality, collaborations, licenses, consulting, master services, purchasing, and supply, preferably in life sciences in biopharmaceutical industry experience.
- Familiarity with negotiating and transacting complex agreements.
- Demonstrated proficiency monitoring and assessing internal and external performance against contracts.
- Previous success establishing contracting best practices, risk management strategies, and agreement standards.
- Ability to perform independently as well as cross-functionally and demonstrate flexibly in a collaborative.
- Ability to prioritize and drive multiple initiatives to conclusion independently and in a timely manner.
- Possess strong persuasion, negotiation and collaboration skills and excellent communication presentation skills.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills for a wide variety of audiences, including senior leaders.
- Courage to lead and make tough decisions/strong influencing skills.
- Maintaining a disciplined approach, ensuring a relentless focus on quality, compliance, scientific rigor and operational excellence.
- Excellent contingency planning and time management skills and demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Possess strong problem solving and analytical skills and be an independent and creative thinker.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly matrixed work environment.
Without exception, applicants must submit both a cover letter and resume to be considered for these positions and must have experience in one of the fields listed above.