Arcellx (http://www.arcellx.com/) is a venture-backed, early-stage biotech company focused on the development of novel cell-based cancer therapies. The company has a team of biotechnology professionals with expertise in biologics discovery, characterization, and development. Lead products will incorporate proprietary technologies that enhance tumor-specific killing by genetically engineered human immune cells. Arcellx’s vision is to bring ARC-sparX platform cell therapies to millions of patients who can self-administer prescribed sparX proteins under the care of academic and community practices.
The Associate Director, Total Rewards & People Operations is a critical role, responsible for setting, evolving and administering all compensation and benefit strategies in close partnership with the business, as well as building and executing, processes and systems that ensure a top-notch employee experience. Keeping abreast of market trends, the leader will proactively propose compensation, benefits and people processes that align with our values and culture and create a competitive advantage, ensuring Arcellx is seen as an employer of choice, and is able to successfully attract and retain talent. This role reports to the Chief People Officer and will works closely with members of the management team.
- Design and administer a comprehensive total rewards strategy that aligns employee rewards with Arcellx’s values, enables the organization to attract, reward, and retain diverse talent, and contributes overall to an inclusive workplace.
- Work closely with the Chief People Officer to ensure our total rewards programs are IPO-ready and ongoing processes and structures are established and managed accordingly.
- Prepare executive and director compensation analyses, program design and preparation of materials for the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Work closely with the Talent Acquisition team to assist in the development of market-competitive compensation packages that enable Arcellx to attract high-caliber talent while managing internal equity.
- Develop a job architecture that effectively defines robust criteria to consistently level roles across the organization using robust survey data and market insights.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight to the benefits function that results in effective and efficient management of programs and partners (negotiate favorable renewals, manage open enrollment processes, robust employee communication plans, wellness and health education initiatives, etc.).
- Collaborate with external benefits and compensation advisors to stay abreast of emerging trends and proactively put forward recommendations that enable Arcellx to be competitive and resourceful in our total rewards investments.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining a proactive approach with new and anticipated changes to legislation and regulation, which may impact organizational processes and objectives.
- Develop and deliver communications that help our employees understand and appreciate the value of their total compensation, inclusive of benefits, base, bonus, equity, programs related to holistic wellbeing, etc.
- Management and execution of the 401k plan, including all compliance and fiduciary activities.
- Develop and design operations to support the employee lifecycle (onboarding to offboarding).
- Collaborate with Payroll and IT to ensure and effective digital employee experience and high-quality HR data.
- Continue to adjust our policies and practices for the needs of the business as we grow.
Preferred Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree, and 6+ years of experience within HR/Total Rewards, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership
- Prior experience leading HR projects (e.g., system implementations, compensation, and benefit cycles, etc.) with strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to complete a broad range of related action items.
- Understanding of SEC, SOX, and tax requirements as well as all other government regulations that apply to compensation base and incentive compensation.
- Hands-on experience with HR operational practices, including benefits, employee relations, data management, leave management, on/off-boarding, and employment law (COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA, ADA, EEOC, FLSA, etc.)
- Strong sense of urgency and demonstrated ability to deliver results with a wide degree of judgment, creativity, and latitude expected
- Enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks and situations and is a resourceful self-starter
- Excellent priority setting and project/time management skills with the flexibility and adaptability to respond to shifting business needs
- High professional standards and a strong customer experience mentality with an energetic, positive attitude can quickly build partnerships, relationships, and trust
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook skills
- Must have strong organizational skills and an ability to handle track and execute multiple priorities.
- Highly motivated, with willingness to acquire new skills and ability to learn quickly.
- Detail oriented, good documentation practices, technical writing and verbal communication skills
- Possess problem solving and analytical skills and be an independent and creative thinker.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly matrixed work environment.
- Interpersonal and leadership skills to work with teams in different functions and organizations.